Tea Plantation Walk & Factory Visit
Cost: Half Day DOT charges.
Additional charges for longer walk (around 2 hours – Rs 500 per pax)
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Challenging
With around 26 tea estates and 16 + 1 (instant tea) factories, Munnar stands as one of the major producers of tea. It offers delightful scenic view where rows of mountains run along, covered with tea plantations and the Shola forests. It’s a thrilling experience to every tea drinker, as they get to see the production of tea, right from its growth to the processing of its various types.
Visit to The Tea Museum, run by TATA, which includes: (closed on Mondays)
- A brief documentary on the establishment of tea estates in Munnar.
- You get to see the various antiques and gadgets, which are a century old, and were used by the British when the tea estates were established.
- You will be taken to the demonstrative tea factory, which gives you a clear idea on tea processing and the methods used for it.
- We can even go on a tea tasting session if needed.
- We then visit the tea outlet where you get the different types of teas.
Tea Plantation Walk
- You are taken on a walk (30 mins) through the tea plantations, which is a scenic treat in itself. It’s interesting to see the life and settlement of tea planters, who may also be seen at work at times.
Visit to Srishti (Optional): (closed on Sundays)
- A charitable trust started by TATA, for the disabled members from the families of the tea planters. They are trained professionally for the three industries – Deli (bakery), Aranya (cloth dyeing industry) and Atulya (paper making industry). It’s a beautiful experience to see the novel work that is undertaken here along with the use of organic products for dying and paper-making.